BBL Company operates BBL, a 235-kilometre gas pipeline with an hourly capacity of 20,600,000 Kwh/h between Balgzand in the Netherlands and Bacton in the United Kingdom. With gas flowing from the Netherlands to the United Kingdom, BBL increases the UK’s supply security, strengthens the position of the Netherlands as a leading European gas player and supports the integration of the European gas market. It also powers UK homes and businesses and allows shipper to exploit differences between UK and Dutch gas prices.
We were established in 2004 as a partnership between Gasunie BBL B.V. (60%), Uniper Ruhrgas BBL B.V. (20%) and Fluxys BBL B.V. (20%), subsidiaries of Gasunie, E.On and Fluxys respectively.
We focus on delivering best-in-class performance that meets the highest standards of safety, reliability and integrity. We apply integral quality care for a customer-oriented approach and continuous improvement of our operations.
Since 18 July 2019 the BBL pipeline is operational prepared for transporting gas physically from the UK to the Netherlands. BBLC will offer 7 GWh/h physical reverse flow capacity throughout the whole year. With this additional service BBLC further supports shippers to exploit differences between UK an Dutch gas prices in both directions.
- Daily capacity (FF): 494 GWh
- Hourly capacity (FF): 20,600,000 kWh/h
- Daily capacity (RF): 168 GWh
- Hourly capacity (RF): 7,000,000 kWh/h
- Pipeline diameter: 36" (90 centimetres)
- Pipeline design pressure: 137 bars
- Project life cycle: 50 years
- Daily capacity: 494 GWh
- Hourly capacity: 20,600,000 kWh/h
- Installed compressor station capacity: 4 compressors of each 23 megawatts which includes one full spare
Meet all aspects of the pipline and the installations in this interactive map. Click the bullets to learn more about the installations, onshore sections, dune crossings and offshore pipeline.